SIOUX CENTER—The use of fireworks will once again be allowed in Sioux Center at set hours June 13-July 8.
“While Sioux Center residents have the opportunity to use fireworks, you still need to be safe and use common sense,” said Sioux Center police chief Mike Halma. “We want to prevent injuries and property damage. And we ask that people take the time to pick up their debris. Safety and common sense, those are the big things.”
The city follows the state law regarding the times of day during which fireworks are allowed:
- 9 a.m.-10 p.m. June 13-July 8
- 9 a.m.-11 p.m. July 4 and the Saturdays and Sundays immediately preceding and following July 4 (up to July 8)
Using fireworks outside the allowed dates/times is punishable by a fine of at least $250. People must be 18 or older to purchase and use fireworks.
It’s Lit Fireworks will open for its third year in Sioux Center as one of three firework stands available in the community.
“We’re excited to be in Sioux Center again. Sioux Center’s been good to us,” said owner Dan Winterfeld of rural Sioux Center. “We went through a lot of different wholesalers, watched a lot of videos, tried to find the best of the best to offer a huge selection of the best fireworks for the young and the young at heart.”
The Sioux Center-based stand is one of 18 It’s Lit stands around N’West Iowa.
The three stands in Sioux Center will be:
- It’s Lit, Culver’s parking lot at 1913 S. Main Ave., open June 13-July 8.
- Bellino Fireworks, Hy-Vee Food Store parking lot 1951 S. Main Ave., open June 21-July 5.
- KaBoomers, Pizza Hut parking lot at 1989 S. Main Ave., open June 25-July 4.