While technically they are fruits, not vegetables, don’t let that stop you from using tomatoes in all sorts of savory ways in your kitchen. Sliced, diced, smashed, seeded, stewed or broiled. Hot or cold. Starring role or just for support. Now is the time. Tomatoes of all varieties are at their finest.
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
Preheat oven broiler.
Place tomatoes cut side up in shallow baking dish. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Broil close to heat for 4-6 minutes, until butter is melted and tops of tomatoes sizzle.
Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in medium pan. Add green onions and sauté until tender. Add bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder and oregano. Spoon mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and almonds. Return pan to broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly, 1-2 minutes.