REGIONAL—The Sioux County Community Foundation recently distributed 16 grants totaling more than $90,000 to organizations and cities throughout the county.
The awards were given out during a ceremony in mid-May after the organization finalized the recipients.
“The Sioux County Community Foundation is excited to be able to award over $90,000 to local charitable projects that impact the residents of Sioux County,” said Mike DeBruin, chair of the advisory board that oversees the foundation.
“There are a wide range of projects that benefit the entire county.”
This year’s disbursement of grants brings the total awarded to more than $1.4 million since the foundation began distributing grants in 2006.
The Sioux County Community Foundation was established in 2005 through affiliation with the Siouxland Community Foundation, based in Sioux City.
The local community foundation is governed by an advisory board, which determines the grant recipients each year. The board is composed of representatives from each of the incorporated communities in Sioux County: Alton, Boyden, Granville, Hawarden, Hospers, Hull, Ireton, Matlock, Maurice, Orange City, Rock Valley and Sioux Center.
The mission of the community foundation is to encourage and provide opportunities for charitable giving, to manage and distribute funds in a responsible manner and to enhance the quality of life for the people of Sioux County.
ENTITIES RECEIVING GRANTS:
- Orange City Area Daycare and Preschool, $10,000 for facility upgrades.
- Sioux County Conservation Board, $10,000 for second part of Big Sioux Recreation Area Trail paving project in Hawarden.
- Alton Fire Rescue & Ambulance, $9,503 to purchase Hurst Jaws of Life.
- Granville Fire and EMS Association, $9,503 to purchase Wildland Skid Unit.
- Hawarden Police Department, $9,503 for video camera equipment.
- City of Hull, $7,500 for renovation at West Side Park shelter.
- City of Hawarden, $5,800 to purchase and install columbarium at Grace Hill Cemetery.
- City of Matlock, $5,266 for holiday lights.
- Hull Historical Society Museum, $5,000 for basement renovation.
- Inspiration Hills Camp & Retreat Center, $5,000 for swimming pool repairs.
- Rivers Bend Campground and city of Rock Valley, $5,000 for campground cabins.
- Midwest Honor Flight, $5,000 for Mission 8, which will fly 120 Vietnam War veterans to Washington, D.C.
- Sioux Center Low Rent Housing Agency, $2,500 for The Meeting Place gazebo near New Homestead’s main entrance.
- Ireton Area Historical Society Museum, $2,000 for hand railings.
- Northwest Iowa Mental Health Center, $2,000 for Family Support Center furnishings and resources.
- Senior Companion Program of Greater Siouxland, $600 for projector system for volunteer training.