ORANGE CITY—A Sioux Center woman is suing the Sioux County Jail in Orange City and four jailers, claiming her state and federal constitutional rights were violated after one of her arrests two years ago.

In her lawsuit, Kamie Jo Schiebout said she made multiple requests for mental health services that were ignored by jail staff after she was booked on Nov. 21, 2017, according to federal court documents.

On Dec. 5, 2017, Schiebout attempted to commit suicide in jail by tying bedsheets from her cell, tying one end around the railing of an upper-level mezzanine and the other around her neck before leaping from the mezzanine.

The now 41-year-old survived her suicide attempt, but suffered a broken right leg and a fractured left kneecap, and fractured the fourth metatarsal in her left foot, all of which required serious hospitalization.

The lawsuit was filed in Sioux County District Court on Nov. 7, but later moved to the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa in Sioux City.

Schiebout was booked on Nov. 21, 2017, after a standoff with deputies from the Sioux County Sheriff’s Office outside of a rural Sioux Center residence.

Deputies, who were trying to serve her an arrest warrant stemming from a second-degree theft case, spotted Schiebout in the residence and tried to coax her to come out.

When Schiebout refused to come to the door, deputies called out the Tri-County CERT, which is a Combined Emergency Response Team made up of officers from the Sioux, Plymouth and Cherokee County sheriff’s offices and the LeMars and Cherokee police departments.

After negotiations with people inside the home failed, the team made entry into the residence and discovered Schiebout concealing herself under a pickup bed parked inside the garage.

She then was transported to the Sioux County Jail.

During processing at the jail, Schiebout told jail staff she had a mental illness, had previously been hospitalized for mental health reasons, had previously been prescribed anti-depression medication and had previously experienced suicidal thoughts, according to the lawsuit.

As she was being booked, Schiebout told jail staff she wanted a counselor for a mental health evaluation and the next day she made a written request for services because she was having issues with “depression/anxiety” and had no medication.

Schiebout also wrote a request for mental health services on Nov. 22 reiterating her issues with depression/anxiety and saying that she was experiencing “suicidal thoughts, hopeless feelings.”

Her third request for mental health treatment came on Nov. 27, six days after her booking.

According to her lawsuit, at that point jail officials contacted two mental health providers, Creative Living Center and the now-defunct Compass Point Behavioral Health.

A week later on Dec. 4, according to Schiebout’s lawsuit, she still had not received services, and on a recorded phone conversation with her father the same day, she reiterated her suicidal thoughts to him.

Schiebout is seeking damages for:

  • Past and future medical and pharmaceutical expenses.
  • Past and future pain and suffering.
  • Past and future emotional distress.
  • Lost wages and/or loss of function.
  • Loss of ability to enjoy life.