Sheldon/Sibley-Ocheyedan soccer

Sheldon/Sibley-Ocheyedan junior Raegan Freeman takes a shot on goal past West Sioux junior Andrea Rivera during the former program's first match on April 4 in Sheldon.

SHELDON—The Sheldon School District Board of Education will consider voting for the continuation of the soccer sharing agreement between Sheldon and the Sibley-Ocheyedan School District at its regularly scheduled meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 8., at the Sheldon High School library.

Superintendent Cory Myer will recommend the school board reapprove the program, which began in spring 2019 and has proven to be popular among student athletes in both districts.

Seventy-two students participated in the shared soccer program during its first year, 39 of whom were boys and 33 of whom were girls.

The program requires the school districts to share costs, with Sheldon covering 75 percent of the expenses for equipment and uniforms and Sibley-Ocheyedan paying for the remaining 25 percent.

The colors for the soccer program are orange and black, which are also the colors for Sheldon and Sibley-Ocheyedan’s other athletic teams.

In other business, the Sheldon school board will:

  • Consider approving the resignations of food service worker Rebecca Schwarz, instructional associate Lesa Kruger and Zero Hour physical education coordinator Kyle Zankowski. Early retirement resignations also will be presented.
  • Consider approving a date change for its February meeting from Wednesday, Feb. 12, to Monday, Feb. 10.
  • Consider approving Sheldon’s participation in Iowa's Seal of Biliteracy program.
  • Consider submitting a request to the School Board Review Committee (SBRC) for Modified Supplemental Amount and Supplemental Aid for the 2020-2021 Dropout Prevention Program in the amount of $331,891 for expenditures necessary to implement the 2020-2021 at-risk and dropout prevention program plans.