SHELDON—During its organizational meeting 5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14, the Sheldon School District Board of Education will consider accepting funds from the Sioux Rivers Regional Mental Health & Disabilities Services.
The district applied for funding from the mental health region and was approved for $36,404. It would use the money to increase hours for the school nurses and assist with the salary of a school social worker.
The mental health region had earlier this year received funding through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act to assist with mental health services.
Besides considering the mental health funding, the school board will receive updates on the number of positive COVID-19 cases in the district as well as the number of people in quarantine and who are distance learning. It will also be apprised of the 14-day positivity rate in O’Brien County.
Other items on the school board’s meeting agenda include:
- Elect a new board president and vice president for the 2020-21 academic year.
- Watch an educational presentation from eighth-grade English teacher Kristin Noack and a group of her students.
- Designate a district publication for the 2020-21 academic year.
- Appoint legal counsel for the 2020-21 academic year.
- Consider a fee proposal from CMBA Architects of Spencer regarding the renovation of the Autism Community Transition Center, which the district recently bought from the Village Northwest Unlimited.
- Consider the expulsion of a student for the remainder of the 2020-21 academic year and the first quarter of the 2021-22 academic year for violating the school district’s code of conduct.