SHELDON—The public will have a chance to weigh in on the Sheldon School District Board of Education’s preschool renovation project during the board’s meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday, June 16.
The board will hold a public hearing for the proposed plans and specifications for the future early childhood center, located at the former Fantasia Etc. and Autism Community Transition Center.
The board will also consider the three construction bids it received for the project, which were submitted to district superintendent Cory Myer at 2 p.m. Thursday, June 10, at the high school.
According to the school board meeting agenda, Myer will recommend the board accept the bid of $1,214,000 from L & L Builders Co. of Sioux City.
The other bids the district received were $1,242,000 from Poppema-Sikma Construction of Sheldon and $1,440,000 from Haselhoff Construction of Cherokee.
Other items the school board will consider during its meeting include:
- Approving a bid of $117,237 from School Bus Sales Co. of Waterloo to purchase a new bus. The district also received a bid of $117,399 from Hoglund Bus Company of Monticello, MN, and a bid of $119,511 from Truck Center Companies of Omaha, NE. The district will be reimbursed $25,000 for the purchase through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Diesel Emissions Reduction Act program.
- Approving a quote of $27,057.60 from Saint Paul, MN-based technology solutions company, Tierney, to purchase eight Smart Boards. The district also received a quote of $30,372 from Peoria, IL-based company, Bradfield’s.
- Approving a resolution to transfer $5,000 from the general fund to the activity fund for athletic protective equipment. The board also will consider a resolution to transfer $30,000 from the general fund to the student activity fund to pay for co-curricular or extracurricular activities that fail to meet their financial needs as a result of COVID-19 restrictions in the school fiscal year that began July 1, 2020.
- Accepting milk and bread bids for the 2021-22 academic year. The superintendent recommends the board designate Pan-O-Gold Baking Co. as the provider of bread products and Prairie Farms/Land O’Lakes as the milk provider.
- Accepting the resignations of Heath Anderson as National Honor Society sponsor; Lou Ann Goeb as instructional associate and Wendy Roder as K-6 music teacher. The board will also offer contracts to Amanda Henning as fall musical director for $2,495; Heath Anderson as head boys track coach for $5,375; Lindsey Wittrock as a third-grade teacher for $42,400; and Katie Lindemann and Brittany Snyder each as elementary paraeducators for $12 per hour, 6.75 hrs per day.
- Approving Stewart Cooper and John Oldenkamp as volunteer football coaches.
- Approving six open enrollment applications.
- Approving the middle school athletic sharing agreement with St. Patrick’s Catholic School in Sheldon for the 2021-22 academic year.
- Setting athletic ticket costs for the 2021-22 academic year. Student athletic activity ticket books will cost $30 and adult athletic activity coupon books will cost $40. The student-adult admission fee will increase from $5 to $6.