Sheldon Fire Co.

Visibility is near zero as the Sheldon Fire Co. battled a fire in two ditches near Highway 60 and 310th Street on Saturday. Firefighters used 7,000 gallons of water on the two ditch fires. It was one of five fires Sheldon Fire Co. responded to in a five-day span.

SHELDON—Sheldon Fire Co. first assistant fire chief Brad Hindt strongly advises people to use caution when doing any type of open burning.

This comes after the Sheldon Fire Co. was called out to five fires over the course of last through through Monday and the Ashton Fire Department responded to a fire on Sunday.

“We ask you to please use caution when doing any type of open burning and have an ample supply of water, farm equipment like a disc and check the forecast,” Hindt said. “It is very dry out.”

The first fire the Sheldon Fire Co. was called out on was at 5:19 p.m. Thursday, April 1, for a blaze getting close to a machine shed. On arrival, the firefighters found a large pile of tires and wood on fire.

It took almost two hours to put the fire out as firefighters needed 4,000 gallons of water and 10 gallons of foam to extinguish the blaze. They arrived back at the station at 7:15 p.m.

The next call was at 10:05 a.m. Saturday for a ditch fire on the east side of the Highway 60 expressway south of 310th Street on the east side of Sheldon.

On arrival, firefighters found a fast-moving fire in the ditch on the east side of the highway, which reduced the visibility to near zero. There also was a large ditch fire along 310th Street.

The first engine attacked the fire along the highway and the second truck worked on the fire along 310th Street, according to Hindt.

The fire spread to the cornfields near Highway 60 and in the field along Nettle Avenue. The Sheldon Fire Co. called in a tanker truck and a grass rig from the Sanborn Fire Department. Also, a farmer came with a tractor and disced the field to help stop the fire.

About 20 firefighters responded to the call. About 7,000 gallons of water were used. The O’Brien County Sheriff’s Office also assisted at the scene.

Then at about 2:45 p.m., the Sheldon Fire Co. responded to its second call of the day, this time to a machine shed fire at 3071 Marsh Ave. about two miles northwest of Sheldon. There was a propane tank near the building. The fire started from a nearby burn pit.

On arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from the roof line and smoke inside the shed along with grass and a small wood pile on fire. The property owner was cooling the propane tank.

One crew focused on cooling the propane tank and the second crew made entry into the shed and knocked down a small fire in the southeast corner of the shed. Firefighters started to remove the metal siding on the interior and exterior of the shed and found several hot spots, according to Hindt.

The Sheldon Fire Co. requested aid from the Boyden Fire Department for a tanker and more manpower. The Sheldon Community Ambulance Team, the Sioux County Sheriff’s Office and MidAmerican Energy Co. also assisted at the scene.

Twenty firefighters responded to the fire and used about 2,500 gallons of water and 5 gallons of foam. The shed received severe damage to the southeast corner. Sheldon Fire Co. was back in service at 6:30 p.m.

At 6 p.m. Saturday, it was the Ashton Fire Department’s turn as it was called out to a fire that was out of control at 2280 Nuthatch Ave., just north of Ashton. It was an out-of-control burn pile.

The crew battled the fire for about half an hour. About 1,000 gallons of water was used.

The fire destroyed a late model Ford Ranger, according to fire chief Andy Gacke.

The Sheldon Fire Co. was paged for a burn pile that was out of control at 3271 Oak Hill Ave. east of Sheldon at 3:27 p.m. Sunday.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found a large part of a grove on fire. Firefighters put out the fire along the fence line and cut down several old trees while a skid loader cleared those out of the way.

The Sheldon Fire Co. responded with 17 firefighters and used 2,500 gallons of water. Firefighters were back in service at 5 p.m.

The Sheldon Fire Co. was called at 3:50 p.m. Monday out to a ditch fire at 5155 330th St. about two miles east of Sheldon. A farmer started burning his ditch and with the strong winds, it jumped the road and spread into the north ditch.

The farmer on the south side of the road made a pass with a disc and the farmer on the north side made a pass to help stop the fire from spreading. Firefighters quickly knocked down both ditch fires.

Twelve firefighters responded and used 1,000 gallons of water. A MidAmerican Energy power pole was damaged in the fire. Firefighters were back in service at 5 p.m.

The Sheldon Fire Co. also responded to a call on Thursday, March 8, that did not involve a fire.

Firefighters were paged at 3:56 p.m. to the Sheldon Community Services Center for a person trapped in an elevator.

On arrival, firefighters found that the elevator door would only open part way. The door was forced open enough so the individual was able to walk out of the elevator.

The malfunction for the door was unknown.