SHELDON—The Sheldon School District Board of Education will start the process of looking at construction managers for potential construction and remodeling of Sheldon High School during its meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 9, at the Sheldon Middle School library.
Sheldon School District has been working with CMBA Architects about what project to tackle next as part of the facilities master plan. After going through surveys and other information, it was determined the district doesn't have enough bonding for a new high school. But the district can still look at remodeling Sheldon High School, which is nearly 75 years old.
At Wednesday's meeting, the Sheldon School District intends to enter a guaranteed maximum price contract for preconstruction services and the potential construction and remodeling of the high school facility. Preconstruction services would begin immediately upon award to assist with current underway designs and planning.
According to a memo by Lee Beukelman of CMBA Architects, the district will publish a request for statements of qualifications for construction manager at-risk services for the project on Nov. 28. It will be a two-step solicitation process with qualifications based on certain criteria:
- Projects of similar size and scope in either the public or private sector
- Past performance
- Safety record
- Proposed personnel
- Proposed methodology
At the proposal stage, qualified respondents will be asked to submit their estimated fees for the project.
In December, the district will evaluate the construction managers and request proposals.
Then in January, the school board will perform the interviews with the potential construction managers and plan to award the contract.
Other items the board will address during the meeting include:
- Hear an educational presentation from the Sheldon High School reading strategies class.
- Accept the resignations of Sheldon High School volleyball coach Heather Keizer, assistant volleyball coach Nicole Dibbet and freshman volleyball coach Bailey Hennings.
- Approve the following contracts for hire: Kristin Oldenkamp as an East Elementary paraprofessional for $14 per hour at 6.75 hours per day; Christopher Kopel as a Sheldon High School paraprofessional for $14 per hour at 6.75 hours per day.
- Have a second reading for the board policy review.
- Approve a transfer from the management fund to the PPEL for $4,500 due to wind damage to the bleachers at the high school baseball and softball fields.
- Approve a high school girls wrestling sharing agreement with Sibley-Ocheyedan.
- Authorize the district to dispose of school equipment that is no longer needed or deemed obsolete. Equipment sold will be advertised on the school's website under garage sale items.
- Consider the School Board Review Committee Application for a modified supplemental amount of $79,497 for open enrollment out.
- Consider the School Board Review Committee Application for a modified supplemental amount of $45,886.47 related to the English Language Learning Program.