Siouxland Energy

Siouxland Energy Cooperative west of Sioux Center.

SIOUX CENTERAn Orange City man is receiving treatment for extensive burns after falling into a vat of boiling water at Siouxland Energy Cooperative, an ethanol plant three miles west of Sioux Center.

According to a fundraising campaign by family friend Joanne Gamble on Facebook, Riaan De Groot fell into a vat of boiling water on Monday night, Sept. 9, severely burning him from the chest down.

As a result, he was transported to a burn center in Lincoln, NE.

De Groot and wife, Malissa, immigrated to Orange City from South Africa due to the dangerous circumstances there for white South Africans. Their three children attend school in Orange City.

In her fundraising campaign, which as of Wednesday morning has raised more than $3,000 out of a $10,000 goal, Gamble wrote, “Anyone who has met this family has been immediately impressed with the work ethic, kindness and drive in them to do their best in their work. . . . We were quite awed by his drive to obtain work, to work as much as possible and to better his family’s life. He is a remarkable man.”

The fundraiser can be found at https://www.facebook.com/donate/1032313087160668/10156695221984503/.

This is a developing story.