REGIONAL—The O’Brien County Community Foundation recently awarded 20 grants totaling more than $81,000 to organizations and cities throughout the county.
This year’s disbursement of grants brings the total awarded to more than $1.4 million since the foundation began giving out grants in 2006.
The O’Brien County Community Foundation was established in 2005 through affiliation with the Siouxland Community Foundation, based in Sioux City.
The local community foundation is governed by an advisory board composed of representatives from each of the incorporated communities in O’Brien County: Archer, Calumet, Hartley, Paullina, Primghar, Sanborn, Sheldon and Sutherland as well as one county-at-large member.
The mission of the community foundation is to encourage and provide opportunities for charitable giving, to manage and distribute funds in a responsible manner and to enhance the quality of life for the people of O’Brien County.
The foundation welcomes gifts of any size to the endowment to help fund O’Brien County projects.
ENTITIES RECEIVING GRANTS:
- Primghar Ambulance Team, $10,000 for new ambulance.
- Sutherland Fire & Ambulance Department, $7,500 for fire protection monitor.
- Paullina Fire Department, $6,500 for self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Paullina Ambulance Service, $6,000 for equipment for new members.
- Sanborn Fire & Rescue, $5,440 for turnout gear dryer and rack.
- Hartley Volunteer Fire Department, $5,000 for bunker gear.
- O’Brien County Conservation Board, $5,000 for installation of Mill Creek Interpretive Walking Trail.
- Sheldon Recreational Trail, $5,000 for Crossroads Trail extension.
- Sheldon Volunteer Fire Co., $5,000 for forcible-entry training door.
- City of Calumet, $4,500 for planting roots in Calumet.
- Kids Express Daycare in Sanborn, $4,000 for purchasing radon mitigation/ultraviolet C technology.
- Cornerstone Senior Communities of Remsen, $3,499 for door at Willoway Complex in Sutherland that complies with Americans with Disabilities Act.
- City of Primghar, $3,000 for facility updates at skating rink.
- O’Brien County Emergency Management, $3,000 for Project Lifesaver equipment.
- O’Brien County Livestock Show/O’Brien County Fair, $3,000 for safety railing for new stage.
- Archer Fire Department, $2,500 for purchasing bunker gear.
- General N.B. Baker Library in Sutherland, $1,000 for updated library sign.
- O’Brien County Cemetery Preservation Association, $595 for tool trailer work.
- Foster Grandparent & Senior Companion Programs of Greater Siouxland, $500 for foster grandparent volunteer service support in O’Brien County.
- Senior Companion Program of Greater Siouxland, $500 for senior companion volunteer service support in O’Brien County.