HAWARDEN—At about 2 a.m. Thursday, July 11 Hawarden Fire and Rescue and Hawarden Ambulance received a page from Sioux County dispatch that they were needed to respond to a garage fire at 1519 Avenue L in Hawarden.
Ireton Fire and Rescue were also paged at that time for automatic aid.
Hawarden fire was notified by dispatch that the fire had caused the garage roof to collapse. Upon arrival Hawarden fire seen that the fire had now reached the primary residence.
Hawarden fire chief Duane Schiefen radioed the dispatcher to page the Alcester, SD, fire department and Hudson, SD, fire department to the scene to assist Ireton and Hawarden.
Two rigs from the Hawarden Ambulance Association assisted at the fire.
A neighbor reported seeing one person being transferred to Hawarden Regional Healthcare. The extent of their injuries are unknown at the time however, shortly after arriving echoes of a helicopter landing at the hospitals helipad were heard.
Ambulance personnel also set up an on-scene triage to ensure firefighter safety.
At 2:58 a.m. Hudson, SD, fire were released from the scene and two minutes later Alcester and Ireton fire were as well.
The garage in which the fire allegedly started, west of the home, was burned to the ground, but fire personnel stopped the flames from spreading throughout the home. Water was used to extinguish fire on the back side of the house.
The extent of the damage to the house is unknown at this time and so is the cause of the fire.
Hawarden fire and both ambulances were both reported back to the station just before 4 a.m.